Friday, February 5, 2010

The Invention of Agape

So, I wasn't really planning on updating my blog very often, but I've realized...I sorta like it. It's almost like how people vent to others, to help rationalize their thoughts, and hope others empathize with them. Except that I'm venting to a computer that in no way can empathize with me, because it has no thoughts. So in a sense, nothing alike. Nevertheless, I like it.

Tonight's Friday, and I decided to go rent a movie to watch with my friend Heath while he worked. I've really been wanting to see The Invention of Lying, so I went to the red box to see if it had it. But of course, it wasn't there because if it was...well this would just be a boring blog.

Determined to push forward on this quest for Lying, I went to Movie Gallery to look for it. I didn't have an account, but I decided to try my luck. Well, I found the movie, and I went to the desk to check it out. Right off the bat, I was pretty sure the clerk wasn't having a good night. Turns out, I was right. For the next fifteen minutes, I stood there, with people behind me in line, listening to her problems.

This is where you'd expect me to say, I swept her off her feet and carried her into the sunset and listened to her problems, while my long hair blew eloquently in the wind (couldn't resist putting that picture in the blog haha)...but to tell you the truth, I was actually sort of annoyed.

I was focused on getting back to the dorms to eat my pizza. I was focused on watching my movie. I was focused on me. It wasn't until I got back to the dorms, that I realized how self-centered I'd been.

I've been reading a book called God is in the Small Stuff, and in it it talks about the four types of love. One of which is agape, which is love for others in the way that you desire happiness and well being for them. Instead of exhibiting agape, I selfishly put my desires first.

This week, I hope that as you go throughout your days, you remember agape. Remember that caring is giving, whether it be through donating money to relief efforts for Haiti, or just listening to clerks vent their troubles to you. So, my challenge for you this week is to remember what you've read, and live a servant's life. Much agape, Peace.

1 comment:

  1. How SWEET! My child is growing up and I definitely like the direction it is taking. You have a way with words and tying your emotions to them with a comical twist. So keep those blogs a comin'. Luv ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete